Sunday, February 27, 2011

Weekly Summary: Feb 14-27

2/14/2011
Mon- 11 miles (1:25) West Cliff, 445'
Not really feeling as sore as I thought I would, so I decided to extend my shake-out today. Took it really easy down West Cliff and even ran into my parents along they way! They came down from Sacramento to camp for 2 weeks, so it's been great hanging with them. My heels are really sore, and it was a bit difficult falling asleep last night because of the pain, but all-in-all I think I'll recover nicely.


2/15/2011
Tues- AM: 6 miles (:45) Seacliff, 203'
A cold, but beautiful morning for an easy run. I did an old route through the Aptos neighborhood which was a welcomed break from West Cliff. Legs are feeling good, but heels are (not surprisingly) still sore. 
PM: 11 miles (1:27) Nisene, 1150'
Hung out with the gf for a bit before hitting the trails in Nisene. Not much to report on this run...felt good on the way out, but started to drag coming back. Kind of skipped lunch, but made up for it with some cookies. =]


2/16/2011
Wed- AM: 12 miles (1:34) Nisene, 1421'
Not too much to say. Beautiful run in the park and met up with the parents at Costco before class. Had a mocha freeze and trail mix for lunch...not ideal, but tasty!
PM: 8 miles (1:03) Pogonip, 540'
After a little debate, I finally headed up into Pogonip for an easy stroll. There was a little break in the rain which made for a gorgeous run. Legs are feeling surprisingly chipper.


2/17/2011
Thurs- AM: 14 miles (1:49) West Cliff, 610'
Kind of a sucky run. Sunday is definitely starting to catch up to me. I had two pieces of toast for breakfast and got ravenous about 6 miles into the run...as a result I bonked pretty hard on the return home. Had a big bowl of greek yogurt with blackberries after...yum.
PM: 1 mile w/up, 3x1mile @ 3k pace w/ 400m jog, 1 mile cool-down, Track
5:59, 5:49, 5:48
I was really questioning whether or not to hit the track tonight because of how tired I've been lately. If I didn't make it to the track, I was planning on an easy shake-out, but not wanting to run in the rain alone I decided to suffer for an hour with my teammates. Once I warmed up, the intervals were rather effortless. Coach had us run the first lap at 3k pace then add 20 seconds to the second, then back to 3k, and finish the fourth lap at 20 seconds slower. It was difficult at first to judge how slow I was running the 'recovery' lap, but I got into a groove. I never found myself really struggling which may be neither good nor bad. Overall, it felt like a solid workout.


2/18/2011
Fri: AM: 9.75 miles (1:11) West Cliff, 404'
I'll be honest...kind of a miserably run this morning. Although my pace was surprisingly quick, it was a sufferfest the entire way. Lately I've been feeling completely drained even though I've been sleeping about 8.5 hours a night. I'm probably not as recovered as I thought, so I'm going to monitor my body pretty closely at this point.
PM: 7 miles (:52) Pogonip, 377'
Went for a quick run through Pogonip before my History of Life mid-term (yikes!) and surprise, surprise I felt like garbage! This should be a red-flag to back off the training, but of course I'm too stubborn. I'm also wondering if my performance this week has been struggling because of my diet...it's been pretty heavy in the sweet's/junk food department. I think I've eaten more chocolate, cookies, and pizza this week than I have ever in my life, but who knows. At about 2:45pm and with ~2 miles left in the run, I remembered that my class started at 3:30 and not 4, so it was a mad-dash to get home, change and make it up to campus for my test! Luckily, I made it with some time to spare, and even did quite well on the test.


2/19/2011
Sat- AM: 16 miles (2:05) Nisene, 1571'
This week has been pretty Nisene-heavy, but I've enjoyed the mix-up in my training. I had a banana with peanut butter pre-run, which apparently wasn't enough. I bonked with about 6 miles left and just felt totally crappy. The return home was painful, but I refueled with some egg whites and fruit.


2/20/2011
Sun- AM: 16 miles (2:01) East Cliff, 584'
Mixed things up this morning with a long run on East Cliff. Set out with SCE for a planned 18 miles, but turned back early for a total of 16. The last miles were yet again a struggle as a few of the guys decided to throw down some sub-7min miles. It's time to really focus on performance and dial back the training in preparation for WTC. I some greek yogurt post-run and lunch was pizza with about a million cookies. I feel gross.


Totals
-Miles: 117
-Time: 15hr 01min
-Vertical: 7,355'
___________________________


I'm not really sure what's been going on with my training this week. Part of me thinks it's my diet and part of me says I'm just not completely recovered from Sunday...maybe both? In regards to my diet, I've been having difficulty keeping on weight, so from here on out I'm going to begin tracking what I eat in an attempt to fill in the holes. Having come this far in my training, I cannot afford to mess things up because of sloppy nutritional habits. WTC is quickly approaching, and the more I think about it, the more I feel this could be a break-out race for me. My original plan was to semi-taper for it and use it as a tune-up for the AR 50, but I'm beginning to see my potential in 50k races. I really don't have much experience in 50 milers, and with WTC bringing huge talent from across the U.S., I think it'd be foolish not to give it my all here. I can feel my attention slowly slipping away from this blog as my appetite grows, so I think it's time to go destroy a burrito...and hopefully get out of this calorie deficit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment